The Alternative (one page summary)
Steps towards a Free World – Ideas for a New Era
- Infinite economic growth on a planet with finite resources is impossible. Our current global living solution is unsustainable. Weare seeking an alternative of true freedom, dignity and equality and a life in peace with ourselves, each other and Mother Earth.
- We do not need to change our precious rainbow gatherings and neither do we need to turn the world into a big rainbow gathering. But there are fundamental, universal principles that are essential but not exclusive to rainbow – such as openness, inclusiveness, personal freedom, tolerance, non-violence, egalitarianism, communalism, non-commercialism, sharing and environmentalism – that are needed in the world right now to guide us into a new era.
- We see the solution, after a period of transition, as follows:
- We see a worldwide, inter-dependent network of self-sufficient communities that protect and rehabilitate our natural ecosystems while sustainably producing organic food, renewable energy, building materials and other resources according to Permaculture principles.
- We see these communities freely sharing any surplus of food and resources independent of capitalist mechanisms and without an exchange of money.
- We see these open lands populated by interchanging groups of free and equal individuals in self-organising consensus-based intentional communities that provide food, schooling and healthcare for its inhabitants, visitors and neighbours.
- We see ourselves as freeing these lands from the grip of human control and exploitation and returning them to Mother Earth; the land does not belong to humans, humans belong to the land.
- We see caravans powered by renewable energy sources travelling between and connecting these communities, exchanging food, work, energy, knowledge, art and seeds.
- Tens of thousands of rainbows, travellers and other kinds of nomads are roaming the earth. This group is a great untapped source of renewable energy but they are dependent on “the system”. Landowners, lands and communities are often isolated and unproductive. The land needs more people and the people need more land. The land is there and the people are there – how do we make them come together for the benefit of all? All we need is a little bit of organisation.
- Openness is a fundamental rainbow principle. Open communities are potentially much stronger than hierarchical communities. With strong, continuous, shared intentions, visions and consensuses, an open intentional community will benefit from being open and the world will benefit from the community.
- We want to restore the status of lands to what the expanding Europeans saw as “Terra Nullius” or “No Man’s Land” when they first arrived on new continents. To the rainbow family Terra Nullius is simply the concept that land cannot belong to human beings but that we are all equally free to settle, create communities on and become the guardians of Terra Nullius lands. To the outside world, Terra Nullius is some kind of an “organised non-organisation” or legally recognised global social movement that is entitled to hold land or describe land as “free” in legally acceptable terms on behalf of the worldwide rainbow family. In essence, Terra Nullius are open, borderless and ownerless pieces of land where all the creatures of Mother Earth are free to roam within the limits of sustainability. Finding these lands is part of the world rainbow caravan mission.
- Through an elaborate website we want to create and share an Alternative Map of the World where lands, communities, businesses, caravans and people that support the Alternative are listed and able to interact and share.
- If we choose to seek freedom from politics by temporarily engaging with the political system, a political party representing the Alternative can be set up to free our pieces of Terra Nullius lands from national government control.